Demystification Guru

Just because we don't understand something, doesn't mean it isn't understandable.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

word for today

June 19, 2007
bathos: 1. a ludicrous descent from the exalted or lofty to the commonplace; anticlimax.
2. insincere pathos; sentimentality; mawkishness.
3. triteness or triviality in style.
—Synonyms 2. maudlinness, tearfulness; mush, gush, schmaltz. 3. insipidity, inanity.

I often have to look up words at the blogs I really like - I like the more challenging writers. What's the fun if it's all bland and boring stuff you can get anywhere? Of course, I still don't like (or get, I guess) post-modern type writers. I tried, really I did, reading The English Patient by Michael Ondaatje but couldn't get into it. And that was after I saw the movie and so understood the concept. Why can't writers write more like David Lodge who once described deconstructionism as sawing through the branch of a tree while sitting on the distal end of the same branch. Actually he did it better than that but I couldn't find the quote, which I remember from reading one of his books - probably "Nice Work", back in 1996.

Anyway, I found "bathos" in A Dress A Day today, which does have to do with dresses but also is about good writing.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger IA said...

Nooooo! The movie of The English Patient does not at all share the concept of the book! The movie sucks! The book is good!

12:44 a.m., June 21, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Julia!

Yep, same here for The English Patient...and yet, I'm an avid reader....

8:50 a.m., June 21, 2007  
Blogger JuliaR said...

Hey BBRUG, I heard that Ondaatje was involved in the screenplay so the movie can't be all bad. What do you think about Proust? I asked Carmen already and she read it in the original French and her comment was sort of like, "meh". But I keep having the feeling I should read Proust. Only I have to remember to call him "Proo" and not "Prowst".

10:34 a.m., June 29, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home