Demystification Guru

Just because we don't understand something, doesn't mean it isn't understandable.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Sunday, May 20, 2007

Anniversary

Our 25th anniversary is tomorrow but we went out yesterday to start the celebrations because the weather was supposed to be the best day of the weekend. We've also decided to draw out our celebrations over the entire year and not just stick to the one weekend.
my flowers
The day started with flowers being delivered. The photo doesn't do them justice. Peter had gone on line and finally chose just the right combination and was as pleased with them as I was when they arrived.
sheep herding
I read in the paper that they were having sheep dog herding exhibits at the Experimental Farm, so in the afternoon, we headed over there to see what we could see. This shepherd is in the process of starting to train his young dog seen here. The dog isn't even 2 years old so he only knew a few commands but it was fun to watch.
sheep shearing
We took in a demonstration of sheep shearing. They always look so silly, sitting on their bums but they don't seem to mind and they don't struggle in that position.
lambs!
We went around and saw the lambs. These fellows were quite grown up but there were quadruplets born only 30 hours previously that looked too fragile for words. In a different barn we saw some of the draft horses and I stood and watched one named King while he was having his lunch of some very dry hay. It seemed like he was eyeballing me a little but there were signs all around indicating we shouldn't touch the animals so I forbore. Suddenly, he tossed his head and I was showered with tiny bits of hay that went down my blouse and into every clothing crevice I had. I had to find a washroom and take my blouse off to shake it out, I was so inundated with hay.
pub stop
After we had seen all we wanted, we trekked across some fields to get to Dow's Lake where the tulip festival shuttle bus terminus was. We decided to have a beer first and watch the crowds and took yet another practically identical pub shot of the two of us. We'll have to put all the pub shots like this together in a repetitive album one day. It was also at this stop that we started listening to the Senator's game they had playing on the radio. When we left Dow's Lake, they were halfway through the third period with the Sens leading, 2 to 1.
Sens parade
By the time we got to the Market, I was surprised to hear on various televisions in pubs that we passed that the game was still on and they were in overtime. Finally, the Sens got the overtime goal and won the game and from then on, all the fans came out onto the street and drove around, honking horns and shouting and waving flags. What will they do when we win the actual Cup!? Everyone seemed to be on their best behaviour which was nice. There was a considerable and highly visible police presence in the market the whole time we were there and I think that contributed to the relaxed atmosphere.
Moon Venus
Finally, on the way home, we noticed that Venus was very close to a beautiful crescent moon and in admiring the view, we decided to take a photo. Of course, it was hand-held and therefore not accurate at all but I thought it resulted in an interesting shot. So, happy anniversary to us and this is just the start of 365 days of celebrating!

Labels: , , , , ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful day for you both! I see sunshine. We haven't seen the sun for more than a month, except for three days. We expect some snow tonight to top off a bitter day.

25 years go by quickly, but not as fast as the next 25! I loved the picture of the moon and Venus. I hope we get to see it soon!

Beautiful bouquet. It should last a long while too, as it looks so fresh. All the very best for another good year! Love, Betty

2:53 p.m., May 20, 2007  
Blogger JuliaR said...

I hope the flowers last too. Mum got me some carnations over a month ago and I just finally threw the last one out two days ago. But carnations are like that.

Our weather was beautiful yesterday and not really hot, either. But today we have rain and cool temps so I empathize with your weather. Maybe in a day or two, you will get our used weather down East!

Peter read this blog entry and he said, "you forgot all about our dinner and everything!" And I realized that I had just blogged from the photos, as I do with sewing. Since we didn't have photos of anything after the hockey win, I didn't write about it! Anyway, we had a nice snack on that patio with the Sens fans in the background - some baked camembert with bacon and maple syrup. Totally decadent. Then we went to Vineyards where we had "flights" of wine to taste different kinds. Peter had three red from South Africa, Portugal and Argentina and I had three Italian reds. Finally, we decided to see if this new-ish Asian fusion restaurant called Kinki's had space for dinner and they did. I had something called Japanese curry - shrimp with different sauces on rice. And Peter had scrumptious chicken something. We also had some delish Maki made with salmon. I love that thinly sliced pickled ginger. And a raspberry sorbet for dessert. We liked it enough that we would go back too.

4:51 p.m., May 20, 2007  
Blogger IA said...

Congratulations! Sounds like a lovely way to celebrate. Esp. "baked camembert with bacon and maple syrup"—oh, my!

6:13 p.m., May 20, 2007  
Blogger JuliaR said...

Bbrug, Peter had a cold so we kept a low profile but that cheese was decadent. I don't think it made him feel any worse! And the sake we had at the Asian place helped too.

9:29 a.m., May 22, 2007  
Blogger ML said...

Happy Anniversary! Beautiful flowers and looks like a wonderful day. Here's hoping the entire year and the next 25 years will be great for you both.

4:34 p.m., May 22, 2007  
Blogger JuliaR said...

Thanks ML. And next year, while I'm still celebrating #25, I'll be celebrating my 50th birthday. I think I'll stretch that one out for as long as I can too!

4:44 p.m., June 04, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home