Demystification Guru

Just because we don't understand something, doesn't mean it isn't understandable.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Thursday, June 14, 2007

Habitat Build

I had a really fun day yesterday, working at the Habitat for Humanity "Women Build" here near Ottawa (Stittsville to be exact). There were men and women there and at least a dozen of us, so even when we were sitting around waiting for the gravel truck (not just any kind but a Stone Slinger!), we had people to talk with and found things to do. There were two women in the military and I talked with one young woman (only 18 and there after finishing her first year at Waterloo) whose family had also raised a guide dog puppy!

I got a blister hammering window forms but that was my own fault because I took off my work gloves because it was difficult to pick the nails out of my tool belt pockets. The minister of the local church just down the street came in the morning to give us a blessing and then lunch was supplied by The Works at that church and we were helped by the local church ladies. They had even set the tables with cloths and vases of beautiful peonies.

I'm scheduled to work again next Wednesday and hope to remember to bring my camera. Along with my own tape measure and hammer, as they were in short supply. If my schedule permits, I want to continue work at the site when they start up again in August - they are not doing any work in July (not clear why). But I'm glad I went.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger IA said...

Oh, that sounds like fun!

9:47 p.m., June 14, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you! I've always wanted to build a house with Habitat for Humanity. You're the first person I've ever 'met' who has done it.

9:38 p.m., June 16, 2007  
Blogger JuliaR said...

I'm going back this Wednesday (June 20) and will try to remember to bring camera AND take pix. Looking forward to it...

10:20 a.m., June 17, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home