Demystification Guru

Just because we don't understand something, doesn't mean it isn't understandable.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Tuesday, June 05, 2007

word for today

June 5, 2007
ped·a·go·gy  [ped-uh-goh-jee, -goj-ee] –noun, plural -gies.
1. the function or work of a teacher; teaching.
2. the art or science of teaching; education; instructional methods.

[Origin: 1575–85; < Gk paidagōgía office of a child's tutor.]

ped·a·gog·ic  (pěd'ə-gŏj'ĭk, -gō'jĭk) adj.  
1. Of, relating to, or characteristic of pedagogy.
2. Characterized by pedantic formality: a haughty, pedagogic manner.

I may end up working with someone to develop a workshop about blogs and teaching but that's another story. In the meantime, I was looking into the subject and I noticed that one of the words used a lot by people at the college (or so it seems to me) is "pedagogy" and it is used instead of the word "teach". Now, I think it's a good idea to have a large vocabulary and to exercise it as much as one can. But there are some words that don't work for me and this is one of them. Perhaps my negative view of the word comes from the second meaning of "pedagogic" above. Merely using the word "pedagogic" seems hoity-toity and reinforces the negativity.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I share your distaste for the word pedagogic, as it seems to put the whole teaching profession on a pedestal.

But I wish you all the best with your pedablogic endeavour. It sounds interesting.

5:36 p.m., June 05, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Even worse -- "pedagogically useful." Every time I hear that phrase, a handful of my brain cells up and die.

7:35 p.m., June 07, 2007  
Blogger JuliaR said...

Zoom, I also think it's the root "ped" in the word that puts me off - I know it means "child" and there are good words like "pediatrics" but since you see the word "pedoph1le" in the news more, it makes me think of that. And if the root of the word is "child", why are they using it in relation to a college? Argh.

We'll see if the bloggy thing goes anywhere - you never know when the funding is sketchy at best.

Michael, your comment made me laugh, thanks. Are you of Orange Crate fame?

12:15 p.m., June 08, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home