Demystification Guru

Just because we don't understand something, doesn't mean it isn't understandable.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Thursday, May 17, 2007

more words

perfervid (context: In Randall Denley's column today, he was writing about Andrew Cohen's book critique of Ottawa as a lame city and he wrote: "Here I thought I was one of its most perfervid critics, not the chief yokel, a Babbitt-like defender of the dull.") Very fervent; extremely ardent; impassioned. Extremely or extravagantly eager or zealous.

What got me about the whole thing was how free these newspaper columnists are in their criticism of others. I know it's their job and maybe that's why I wouldn't want the job, even if I DO have lots of opinions. I don't think I could stand to read what others said about me. Even when I just write an opinionated letter to the editor, I get a frisson of fear up my back when it appears in print, thinking that someone will read my letter and disagree with me and SAY SO. Ack. Of course, I DO blog and what is that but an open invitation for criticism? I'll have to think about that one some more. (frisson: a sudden, passing sensation of excitement; a shudder of emotion; thrill: The movie offers the viewer the occasional frisson of seeing a character in mortal danger.)

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Granny J said...

So far, I've been lucky -- no unpleasantness or trolls. A few spams, but not that many. Perhaps that's a reflection of my very small audience! Like every writer, I'm very sensitive to criticism, so I stick with snide on occasion.

10:19 p.m., May 23, 2007  
Blogger JuliaR said...

Good luck to us, Granny J. I live in fear of it but soldier on regardless.

4:45 p.m., June 04, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home