Demystification Guru

Just because we don't understand something, doesn't mean it isn't understandable.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Monday, October 30, 2006

Pumpkins

I got the pumpkins carved today. But one needs some more work which I may do tonight or tomorrow - there's still time.
squirrel chewed spot
This pumpkin was a nice shape but it had a bad spot on one side. No matter - that would be the back. But I've been keeping the pumpkins uncarved, outside for the last two weeks and a squirrel chewed on a spot. I actually caught him in the act, if not on film.
ready to carve
Now I've cut the tops open and scooped out the insides on both pumpkins. You can even see on the tall, narrow pumpkin where a squirrel chewed too!
sleepy and happy
Here are Sleepy and Happy, deployed in a test run, complete with candles. I have to scrape out more of the inside on Sleepy so the light shines through better. And then I have to get Peter to take a photo where the flash doesn't wash out the light effect. Tomorrow. And then one of these days, I'm going to come up a costume idea so we can dress up! I want our costumes to be complimentary (an historical couple or something), warm because it's Canada eh, and comfy. I don't mind elaborate and they can't be too easy to guess but they definitely have to look like costumes and not just like we dressed oddly that day. I was actually thinking about van Eyck's Arnolfini wedding (as I once was an art history major) but then that might be a little TOO obscure. Looking at it again however, we would be warm!

5 Comments:

Blogger ML said...

Julia, those pumpkins are beautiful! Not only do you do excellent sewing, but also pumpkin carving! Happy Halloween.

9:06 a.m., October 31, 2006  
Blogger Katherine said...

Very cool - I love Sleepy's eyelashes!

5:11 p.m., October 31, 2006  
Blogger Sandy said...

An acquaintance of mine made the wool dress the lady in wearing in the Arnolfini wedding. Very warm and comfy on a cold, blustery October day. She was the only one warm. While it would be an awesome costume in my mind, I think you are right in that it would be a bit obscure to most.

7:19 a.m., November 03, 2006  
Blogger JuliaR said...

Sandy! I can't believe it -- someone else thinking of the Arnolfini wedding. Just goes to show, there's nothing new under the sun.

3:02 p.m., November 03, 2006  
Blogger JuliaR said...

Thanks ML and Katherine, I like carving pumpkins. I could probably use some better tools but for now, it's me and a paring knife.

10:12 p.m., November 03, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home