Demystification Guru

Just because we don't understand something, doesn't mean it isn't understandable.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Monday, October 09, 2006

Thoughts about life and inspiration

Joan was wondering what season got other people most inspired to be creative and it made me think. There is something to love about all the seasons, and likewise, something to dislike. Summer can be too hot and buggy but I love the warmth, the sun, the relative quiet because people go on holiday, the urge to just hang in the back yard and put one's feet up, the garden. Fall can be wet and cold but for the first 26 years of my life, it was also the herald of new adventures beginning at school. (The 26 years is not entirely accurate of course, as for the first 5 or 6, I didn't go to school. But you know what I mean.) Winter can be even colder, wet and dark but you also get the pure joy of the first snow, you have Christmas, and those crisp cold mornings when the sun sparkles on the ice and snow and everything looks perfect. And Spring can be a dreary slog through the slush but it also means the tiny new buds of green on the trees, the cardinal singing in the top of the maple, the geese honking their way home, the smell of earth unfrozen.


Mostly however, when Joan posed the question, it occurred to me that this would be my first go-round of seasons in 16 years, starting with the current Autumn, that I would be without a dog. I have always enjoyed being outside in any weather but having a dog ensures that you will be outside every day, at least three times a day. In the two weeks I have been without Rockwell, I haven't taken a deliberate evening walk once. Here it is a holiday Monday morning and I haven't been outside except to grab the newspaper. And it is stunningly beautiful out there. We plan to go for a bike ride a bit later, when it warms up a little more and that will completely satisfy the urge to be outside. But I wonder if I shouldn't maybe take an evening walk as I used to, every night. It's a great conclusion to the day and it's quiet out there - time to think and reflect on the day. You see what stage the moon is in, you feel the wind, you sense the coming weather. Orion always appears in the sky at this time of year and I haven't noticed him yet because I haven't been out at night. Is night my favourite time of day? No, I think early morning is. But maybe I think better at night, as if all the thoughts that were swirling around in my head all day start to come together and make sense.

Daily walks with a dog make you notice what the dog notices - the blowing leaves, the squirrels, a whiff of scent on the breeze, other dogs - everything is a bundle of potential. For the dog, the potential is either for something to eat or something to play with. What more could a dog want, really? For the human, the potential is more complex but still, filled with exciting possibilities. The best part of life, I understand now, really is the journey. It isn't arriving because what do you do then? You look for something else to do, some place else to go. Enjoy the journey because that is what life is.

9 Comments:

Blogger 8675309 said...

Julia, are you doing NaNoWriMo again this year? I am having a terrifying moment, wherein I am considering it....

11:37 p.m., October 10, 2006  
Blogger JuliaR said...

Yes Jenny, this year I hope to actually get more than the 2000 words I wrote last year! But this year, I have been working out a real story idea, with plot, plot points, characters and even a twist. So when November 1 rolls around, I will start flailing at the keyboard with a mission. I am listed (or whatever) as my full name Julia Ringma so you can find me if you want. I have put my husband (Bike Rider) down as my writing buddy because this year, he is determined to do it too. You could be a writing buddy! Although -- I am not sure what that entails. :) Hard to get together for coffee 3000 miles apart, that much is certain. Give it a whirl! It's only for fun.

11:52 a.m., October 11, 2006  
Blogger ML said...

This post really got me thinking. I'll have to come up with some things.

4:51 p.m., October 11, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your description of the seasons Julia.

10:16 a.m., October 12, 2006  
Blogger JuliaR said...

Hey ML, have a look at Joan's original post too.

Thanks Zoom. Seasons have been done to death (poets and them sorts) so I'm surprised I managed to come up with anything at all.

12:17 p.m., October 13, 2006  
Blogger Katherine said...

I enjoy the quiet walks with Sampson a lot. I do a lot of thinking, and like you said, notice what he does.

5:27 p.m., October 13, 2006  
Blogger JuliaR said...

Katherine, I know I've written this elsewhere but it's worth repeating - Uma was our "furry buddha". As a dog, she didn't deliberately teach us but as an example, she was shining.

2:52 p.m., October 15, 2006  
Blogger ML said...

Julia - I tagged you today in my blog :)

2:27 p.m., October 20, 2006  
Blogger JuliaR said...

Okay ML - my post is up!

7:16 p.m., October 20, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home