Demystification Guru

Just because we don't understand something, doesn't mean it isn't understandable.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Friday, June 29, 2007

Proust and Glory

June 29
In a previous entry, I wondered about Proust in the comments. The reason I have been thinking about Proust is mostly because of the entries at Orange Crate Art, a blog by an English prof. Now, he has an entire entry on how to read Proust so I'm wondering what excuse I can use to continue to avoid reading "Remembrance of Things Past". And is that the same as "In Search of Lost Time" except for the translation? Okay it is, I looked it up in Wikipedia.

Phrase for the day:

sic transit gloria mundi: So the glory of this world passes away. (An exclamatory phrase used at the installations of the popes.)

Sic transit gloria mundi is a Latin phrase that means "Thus passes the glory of the world," but is more commonly interpreted as "Fame is fleeting."

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Michael Leddy said...

Hi Julia,

After listening to a lot of Glenn Gould a few years ago, I found a tiny pin in the shape of a piano in a snowy parking lot. I had to learn the bass clef and learn some Bach keyboard pieces after that.

If, as you say, you keep having the feeling you should read Proust, I'd say to follow your intuition and give it a try. : )

7:11 p.m., June 29, 2007  
Blogger Granny J said...

I read one of the six books many years ago & found it fascinating. All it took to get into the dang thing was a period when I oohad absolutely nothing...nada...
on my plate. It takes a while to get immersed, so don't plan on a casual read.

In the meantime, this is to let you know you've been tagged, you lucky lady, you. Check into my blog for particulars!

12:39 a.m., July 01, 2007  
Blogger JuliaR said...

So Michael, you're saying fate could have a role in this? As much as I would like to believe in omens and things, my belief in fate is limited to the notion that "the message is always there - you just have to be ready to hear it". Of course, if I run across an entire copy of "Remembrance" at a used book sale, then I will have to agree with you - and buy it!

But Granny J! You only read one volume! I don't think that counts.

In the meantime, every time I hear myself say "Prowst", I also hear that cleric in "A Room With View", the movie. He's talking about Americans visiting Europe and how uncouth they can be and he imitates a man and woman speaking. The woman can't remember Rome and so the man says (and the cleric imitates him), "you remember Rome - Rome is where we saw the yellow dog." And it's a Brit doing an American accent. So funny.

6:56 p.m., July 02, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home