Demystification Guru

Just because we don't understand something, doesn't mean it isn't understandable.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

on gay marriage

I would find it refreshing if an opponent of gay marriage would come right out (pardon the expression) and state the real reason for his opposition. He should say, "I'm a social conservative and I like things to be the way they've always been, at least in my memory. I don't want any changes to society, even if they might actually improve things. That's why my predecessors in spirit opposed women voting - it was a change to society. In fact, just because women have the vote now doesn't mean it is a good thing. It wasn't long enough ago that women got the vote to make me comfortable with it. So while I recognize that eventually there may be gay marriage, I don't think it should happen here until all the other countries in the world have had it for at least 100 years and then I'll be dead so it won't matter to me."

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Touché!!! Well said!!!! I've had "the talk" with neighbors who are not comfortable with gay marriage and used exactly the same comparison..... Oh, and how about those couples who have NO KIDS!!!!Oh my!!!!

4:28 p.m., August 15, 2006  
Blogger JuliaR said...

Thanks Carmen. Do you know, in 25 years no one has looked down their nose at me (to my face anyway) for daring not to have children? I must be intimidating. :)

1:30 p.m., August 16, 2006  
Blogger Gigi said...

I am a conservative and don't have any problems with gay marriage. Why shouldn't same-sex couples have all the benefits of marriage that traditional couples do? Besides, whose business it is anyway? Certainly not mine.

12:59 p.m., October 04, 2006  
Blogger JuliaR said...

Gigi, I'm with you. There's a bit of a problem with labeling and so I broke the category down into social conservative, which of course, does not contain everybody there equally either. I sometimes describe myself as a libertarian but politically, those guys can't seem to organize themselves out of a wet paper bag, so I'm not sure about that label. A couple of years ago and I think prompted by the reactions after 9/11, there was a move on to try to describe people who were fiscally conservative but socially liberal as "eagles" but I don't think that ever took off. I still think there should be a political party invented for folks like me, whose philosophy tends toward: "I don't care what you do, just don't ask me to pay for it".

1:19 p.m., October 04, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home