Demystification Guru

Just because we don't understand something, doesn't mean it isn't understandable.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Mammograms and Such

I went for my second annual mammogram this afternoon. The first one wasn't that bad so I was fairly nonchalant about this appointment. I checked the maps before going and decided to bike across Meadowlands and get on the bike path at Hog's Back and follow Riverside that way. The bike path does go quite a bit out of the way and I felt I was running late so I stepped on it and got there at an average of 20.5 kph over 12 km. Sweating freely, I arrived at the check-in with 5 minutes to spare before my appointment. And then I wasn't called for another 10 minutes after that.

I got a technician with some attitude and when I confessed to her that I was "trying to write my first novel" she asked, was I trying or was I writing? Hahaha. So I said that indeed, Yoda himself had said "do or do not, there is no try" and therefore I was actually writing. She also squished my breasts more than the first technician had done last year and I had to say "ouch" twice to get her to stop twisting that little dial. Other than that, it was an uneventful event, which is what you want in an appointment like that.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ouch! I actually haven't had one yet, but I imagine it won't be long now before my doctor peers up at me during an annual exam and says "Your time has come."

9:39 a.m., July 16, 2006  
Blogger JuliaR said...

Yeah, it's "uncomfortable" for a moment, here and there but it doesn't last forever. It's not as bad as that description going around in emails, where they talk about lying on the garage floor and banging a cold brick on your breast! But I'm wondering if I really need to go every year, now that they have two "base years". Now I'm looking forward to my first colonoscopy! Not. I'll wait until I pass 50, I think.

6:21 p.m., July 16, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home