Demystification Guru

Just because we don't understand something, doesn't mean it isn't understandable.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Friday, January 20, 2006

another meme

I got tagged with a meme and so I will “answer” it here because I post the least at this blog. Zoom tagged me but I don’t know enough people who blog so I won’t tag anyone else. And then she went and used up two of the things that I do (counting and inanimate objects)! No fair.

The rules are simple: you must confess to 3 things that you do that others don’t know about.

1. I post comments on other peoples’ blogs and then check back obsessively to see if they respond with “you are so brilliant/insightful/amazing”. They rarely do because I rarely am. It’s pathetic.

2. I cry whenever I see horses on tv. They might just be standing there and I start to tear up. I went to see the Lipizzaner Stallions at the Corel Centre and used up several tissues. I was channel surfing and caught the end of a documentary about the Chincoteague pony swim and blubbed the rest of the way through it. (I know there are several people who DO know this one.)

3. I was once so addicted to on-line solitaire that I had to have it removed from my computer at work. Nowadays, if I find myself at a PC (I have a Mac at home) with some idle time, I see if Solitaire is there and play it a couple of times, even though I know it could be dangerous.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got hooked on Free Cell at one point. A game was always going on in the back of my mind, even when I wasn't playing. I even dreamed about it while I was sleeping. I quit cold turkey. The weird thing was that six months later I thought I'd play "just one game" and I opened it up and discovered I could no longer remember how to play.

The horse thing is kind of odd. Do you cry even if the horses are frolicking happily in a field? Is it only horses, or especially horses?

Brilliant and insightful post, by the way. :)

8:47 a.m., January 21, 2006  
Blogger JuliaR said...

Thanks Zoom! Especially for the “insightful” comment. :)
I think horses just bring out the emotion in me. My Myers-Briggs personality type is INTJ so I tend to suppress emotions in favour of logic and order. The floodgates open up with horses. I love dogs too but when I see them, I tend to find myself smiling uncontrollably, instead of tearing up. Although of course, I cry at movies like “Incredible Journey” and “Fluke”, and during the Westminster Dog Show. :)

9:00 a.m., January 21, 2006  
Blogger Dakota said...

Great and amazing Me-Me…. So honest :) Thanks for sharing!

10:29 a.m., January 21, 2006  
Blogger JuliaR said...

Thanks Dakota. I forgot you were on 43 Things too. Now I remember. And Dutch to boot! I am 1/4 Friesian. It may explain a lot. :)

9:29 a.m., January 22, 2006  
Blogger Dakota said...

Funny, 1/4 Frisian (or Fries as the say over here)? You must know what Fryslân boppe means then……. ;)

2:43 p.m., January 23, 2006  
Blogger JuliaR said...

http://www.fryslanboppe.nl/
Is it like a portal? "Boppe" doesn't seem to want to be translated by the Internet.

4:43 p.m., January 23, 2006  
Blogger Dakota said...

No, it’s not a site….at least I don’t think so. The Frisians are, as you might know, very proud people so they made a catchphrase: Fryslân boppe which means something like Friesland, the best there is :)

9:32 a.m., January 24, 2006  
Blogger 8675309 said...

Julia:

1. You ARE brilliant, insightful and amazing...I think those of us who don't respond to every comment are just lazy. ;^)

2. Get a box of Kleenex. Are you ready? Okay, but don't say I didn't warn you: http://www.personalponies.org

3. I had an experience similar to zoom!'s, only with Tetris. If my mind wasn't actively engaged -- even if I was watching TV or something like that -- I would be playing Tetris in my head. I forced myself to wipe it off my hard drive.

7:02 p.m., January 24, 2006  
Blogger JuliaR said...

Hey Jenny,
I am not sure about this responding to every comment thing. I think it is certainly a nice thing to do but if your blog got really big, it could get to be a burden. Remember when Dooce still took comments? And Finslippy can get over 100 comments to an entry and I rarely see her commenting back in there (not that I look at her comments much). Do you know I have seen over 13,000 views of a single Dooce photo over on Flickr? Yikes. You have to be registered with Flickr to make comments but even that still doesn’t keep her from getting upwards of 20 comments on some photos. I know, I’m just jealous.

“Personal ponies” was lovely. I think animals can be amazing with people who are a little different from the rest of us. I once had a client who was dying and he would come visit the office every so often. While he was waiting, Uma would go over and sit beside him and he would pet her. She NEVER did that with anyone.

8:34 a.m., January 25, 2006  
Blogger 8675309 said...

Yes, animals definitely have some inexplicable special connection with special people...you should have seen how sweet Lomax was with a little girl we met over Christmas.

Did you read the stories on that website about the kids and their ponies? Nearly killed me. That stuff makes me cry, too!

12:55 p.m., January 25, 2006  
Blogger JuliaR said...

I confess I did not read the stories. I may some day but I figured they mught be too much for now!

11:53 a.m., January 26, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home