Demystification Guru

Just because we don't understand something, doesn't mean it isn't understandable.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

on what I want to be when I grow up

Questions suggested by a Monster dot com email I got. My answers are supposed to help me decide what I want to do when I grow up.

1. What subjects do you most enjoy reading about?
Anthropology, psychology, why people do the things they do, some fiction
2. What television or radio programs do you most enjoy?
TV fiction - (current) West Wing, Bones, House, CSI, Veronica Mars, Lost
(past) Quantum Leap, Firefly, Buffy (first season)
TV fact - animal programs, Lonely Planet, Tour de France, home renos
Radio - As it happens, interviews
3. What are your favorite types of movies?
SciFi, action/adventure, anything else well written
4. What are your favorite hobbies or pastimes?
Sewing, reading, gardening, some cooking - things where you make something or see what you’ve accomplished
5. What type of volunteer activities do you prefer?
Organizing, background work, puppywalking
6. What subjects do you enjoy discussing with friends?
Popular culture, movies, cooking, gardening, politics, psychology, dogs
7. What subjects come to mind when you daydream?
Travel, my ideal house, clothing (fashion)
8. What have been your favorite jobs?
Finding things for people that they couldn’t find for themselves (teaching can be included in this too)
9. What were your favorite school subjects?
Anatomy, religion, art history, science
10. What are your pet peeves?
Litter, bad grammar and spelling, bad manners, lack of objectivity
11. If you doodle, what do you often draw?
I don’t doodle - interesting, because I can draw very well
12. If you ran the world, what changes would you make?
For Canada - less government and better government
For the world - establish democracy and capitalism everywhere (which you cannot do without basic freedoms and responsibilities)
13. If you won a million bucks, what would you do with it?
Invest enough to live comfortably off the capital and give the rest of it away to family and friends
14. What are your favorite kinds of people?
Interesting, positive, active, kind, considerate, capable, funny
15. How would you like to be remembered after your death?
I would like to make some part of the world a better place
16. What are your favorite toys?
I don’t have toys. I like my bike, sewing machine, mix master, coffee grinder. Maybe all the fabric I have in boxes could be considered “toys”.
17. How would you describe your political beliefs?
I don’t care what you do, just don’t ask me to pay for it (and don’t hurt anybody).
18. Who do you most admire in life and why?
This feels like a loaded question and too long for this type of query. Maybe later.
19. What tasks have brought you the most success?
Depends on how you define success. Is success happiness, contentment, financial reward, approval of others, social standing? I’ll have to think about this one too.
20. What tasks do you think you could do well that you haven't yet done?
Forensic anthropology! Any kind of forensics involving science (see “Bones”).

Monster says: “Examine your answers. Do you see a certain behavior or belief in more than one aspect of your life? What information do you see repeated that seems to reveal a behavior pattern? What are your long-lasting interests?”

Anyone?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I could be your employment fairy godmother and wave my magic wand to point you to your perfect employment. Heck - I'd like one for myself!

I just want to say, as a former colleague, that I really enjoyed working with you. You were a solid, confident, can-do person with a fab sense of humour. I will always remember the "audible eye-rolling" comment =)

Wherever you go, your co-workers will be darn-lucky to have you around.

7:22 p.m., November 29, 2005  
Blogger JuliaR said...

Well aren't you the best, Ellen! Thanks for the vote of confidence. I am teaching a course again in January at Algonquin (estates) and am looking forward to getting out a bit more than I am right now. But maybe my real future does lie in writing - time will tell.

7:27 p.m., November 29, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As one of your students I would like to say that you are a brilliant writer and thinker. Your greatest ability is to simplify things so that anyone can understand and by simplify I don't mean "dumb down". You don't use the techno-lingo that a lot of smart people tend to use. People really appreciate and gravitate toward plain language. Unfortunately most people don't have the courage to speak plainly. You are bright, courageous and have a great sense of humour.
I'm glad to know you will be teaching at Algonquin again in January. Your students will benefit from the experience.

3:28 p.m., December 02, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home